The AJARTOKI OF THE SOURCE dog show is an annual dog show staged in Ile-Ife, Osun State by the Management of Beaks&Tails Vet Health Services. Ajatoki is a co-joined Yoruba word which means a strong, agile or healthy dog. The word “source” is meant to represent Ile-Ife as the cradle or traditional and historic base of the Yoruba race.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES:
- To feature and exhibit the diversity of dog breeds in Ile-Ife and its environs.
- To raise general awareness about dogs and its importance among the residents of IleIfe and its environs.
- To facilitate an increase in the interest and knowledge of proper canine management among dog owners.
- To raise the general awareness of the risk and risk factors associated with rabies infection among dog owners.
- To improve the proportion of dog owners who take adequate anti-rabies precautions.
HISTORY OF AJARTOKI OF THE SOURCE:
The “AJARTOKI OF THE SOURCE” show was first staged on 18th April 2014 with 34 registered dogs of diverse breeds in attendance and several others which made unregistered appearance. Participants came in from Ado-Ekiti, Oshogbo, Ilesha, Osu, and Ile-Ife. The maiden edition of the show was the first of its kind in Osun State and was hugely successful in achieving the aims and objectives of the organizers.
The second edition tagged “BARK IN THE PARK” held on the 14th of March 2015 was a massive upgrade on the maiden edition with 54 registered dogs in attendance. That the winner and our current champion came in from Ibadan is a testament to the increasing spread of the show. Besides free medical check-up and treatment against endo/ecto-parasites, every dog in attendance was offered free anti-rabies vaccination and 79.5% of the dogs in attendance were vaccinated.
Last year‟s event which was delayed due to the outbreak of the parvovirus infection earlier in the year took place on Monday 3 rd October 2016. The event, tagged “DOGLYMPICS” had a wider reach, influence, and impact as it drew participants from far and near. Ten different dog breeds made up the seventy-two registered and unregistered participants. Free medical check-up, endo/ecto-parasites treatment, and free anti-rabies vaccination was offered to every dog in attendance of which 82.6% of the dogs in attendance were vaccinated.
FOURTH EDITION EXPECTATIONS
The fourth edition of the event has been fixed for Monday 2nd October 2017. The event, tagged “SO SO ADOGRABLE”, is expected to take place between the hours of 10am and 3pm. Our targeted number of participants both registered and un-registered is 120 dogs. Each dog in attendance will be offered free antirabies vaccination and medical check-up (free antihelminthic and ectoparasitic) The various categories for awards include;
- *Most obedient*: dog that responds to basic obedience commands as given by the handler.
- *Best groomed*: the general appearance of the dog, neatness, cleaned ears, no bad odor, trimmed nails.
- *Best 6 legs*: one should be able to see a good connection between the owner/handler of the dog and the dog itself. There should be a good understanding between the two.
- *Dog of the day*: this goes to the dog that carries the day. The title is otherwise referred to as the AJARTOKI OF THE SOURCE.
- *Best performer/entertainer*: reserved for the dog that presents the most befitting entertainment for bystanders.
- *Best breeder*; this is aimed at motivating our hardworking breeders within Ife and the environs. It will be decided by what is termed as the BREEDERS‟ GAME.
- *Veteran of the day*: for the dog that has the highest frequency of attendance at the AJARTOKI dog show.
- *Best of breeds* for the best dog within each breed categories namely German Shepherd, Rottweiler, Boerboel, lhasa Apso, Cane Corso etc.
The AJARTOKI Winners will be selected by a team of Veterinarians, dog breeders, and dog enthusiasts.
By DR. „DEDAPO ODUNLADE (DVM Ib; MPH)
Beaks & Tails Veterinary Health Services® 08033693402, 08051081999.